OCD Sanctuary
Friday, February 10, 2006
  Metta
The title of this blog entry, metta, is a Pali word. It has no direct meaning in English but is usually translated as the compound word loving-kindness. Metta is an attitude of friendliness and the genuine wish for the welfare of others. It is not selfish but is given without any thought of receiving anything in return, much like the protection that a mother gives her child. The definition that I like is:

Essentially metta is an altruistic attitude of love and friendliness as distinguished from mere amiability based on self-interest.

We are also not limited to showing metta towards people. We can also show metta to animals and also other things in Nature. It occurred to me the other day that I could show metta towards my own OCD. I had some initial doubts about this, because I have always regarded my OCD as an enemy. I shouldn't be validating an enemy should I?

I have learnt from books and I have found it true from my own personal experience that the more anger and hate I give an idea or thought the more it digs itself in. It becomes harder to remove than if I just turned a blind eye to it. The anger and heat of emotion empowers the thought. The more I despise it, the more obtrusive it becomes.

Maybe showing my OCD some metta, while not curing it, will help to at least pacify it so that it may be more easily dislodged. If I have a sore throat, rather than cursing my misfortune, I try to show it a bit of metta and kindness, then it seems to make the whole experience seem less of a pain. Maybe it will work with obssessive thoughts as well? I am going to see how it goes.

I am going to sign off now the way many Buddhists sign letters, with a simple wish for you and your family's good health and happiness both now and in the future.

Metta,
John
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

The large Buddha statue in Koh Samui, Thailand

The thoughts and musings of an OCD sufferer who is discovering how the path of Buddhism can help in coping with the affliction of his mental condition.

Previous Posts

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / July 2006 /


[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Subscribe to OCD Sanctuary

Powered by Blogger