OCD Sanctuary
Saturday, February 04, 2006
  My Story
Hi, my name is John. I have had contamination fears for most of my life. I am afraid of contaminants getting into my home and infecting my stuff. I am also a bit paranoid that other people are out to contaminate me on purpose, though goodness knows what that purpose would be. I am a hand-washer and this is my primary ritual, though vacuuming is coming a close second original.gif I am lucky that the severity of my OCD is not absolutely debilitating and I have managed to keep it a secret from most people.

Like most OCD sufferers, I wanted a way out of this nightmare. There had to be more to life then standing next to the wash basin all day. I went to my GP who prescribed me some anti-depressants. I think I tried prozac, paxil and another one as well. He put me in touch with a psychiatrist who I went to see a few times. I felt that neither my GP nor the psychiatrist really understood what I was going through. They seemed to know hardly more than a few minutes light reading on the topic. I felt that I knew much more on both a conceptual level and of course by direct experience than either of them. So I stopped going to the pyshciatrist. Eventually I stopped taking the medications as well because I could not discern any effects, apart from that they seemed to make my pupils really dilate which made it seem kind of weird looking at myself in the mirror.

I had obtained a copy of Brain Lock by Dr. Schwartz and thought that it was highly interesting indeed. I thought that the techniques in this book held a lot of promise and I still do. It wasn't long before I started noticing the connection of the contents of this book to Buddhism. I do not recall how precisely the link was made but one day I found a website which gave a summary of the tenets of Buddhism. I was immediately fascinated. The goals of Buddhism were so congruent to my own goals at the time, namely to find a solution to the problem of my mental suffering.

Up to this point, I knew next to nothing about Buddhism. I was like most people in the UK, being that I had a broadly Christian-centric education but I never went to Church unless it was for things like weddings and such. I guess I would have ticked the Christianity box on the religion question in forms, but all in all I got on with my life with religion very much in the background.

That was about a year and a half ago. Since then I have been on a journey of self-discovery which I am very excited about. My aim in starting this blog was to have a chance to share some of the insights and gems that I have picked up from other people along the way. I believe that within Buddhism, there is a path and technique which may help people who suffer from OCD to make life more manageable.

May you experience peace within yourself and may you come out of all of your sufferings.

John
 
Comments:
Hi John, I got here via e-sangha. I'm sorry to hear about your illness, but it seems that you are going about it the right (and optimistic) way. I had a similar experience through panic disorder and found quite a lot of information about how Mindfullness meditation helps to relieve the symptoms. It may be worth having a google around sometime, it sounds like there are definite similarites.

Fun and games :) Oh well, hope that is of some use (these things are easier to deal with the more you understand) Rich.
 
Hi Rich,

Many thanks for you e-mail. I hope that through mindfulness meditation
and other tools of Buddhism, you have gained some peace from your panic disorder. I personally have found the whole realm of Buddhism to have helped me immensely, not only in damage control but also giving me a purpose in life which I think is very important as a base from which to fight something like OCD. Please feel free to contact me at any time to discuss anything to do with Buddhism or coping with a mental condition such as OCD or panic disorder. In the meantime, take care of yourself.

Metta,
John
 
Hi John, upon discovering your blog and reading your story I felt as if a great sense of confirmation came over me. I have very severe OCD with generalized anxiety, I have been on a plethora of medications and none of them really works for me. I have what is termed pure possessive OCD i.e. my compulsions are in the form of thoughts as well, so I am constantly bombarded by terrible distressing obsessive thoughts of illness and germs etc combined with compulsive internal ritualizing. I am an opera singer and the OCD has held me back for so long, I came across the real benefit of Buddhism through my first singing teacher and I have been contemplating on incorporating Buddhist principles into my life. The benefits so far have been very promising, by chanting the pure OM as well as the Lotus Sutra, I am able to calm my mind and focus on what needs to be done. I am furthering my exploration of Buddhism as I feel that it is an excellent tool on relieving the suffering that is caused by OCD. It is a dream of mine to one day open a music school for children suffering from all kinds of afflictions where all of the techniques of pure spirituality in combination with music can be used to alleviate their suffering just as it is starting to alleviate mine. I thank you again for your amazing blog and contribution. Divine Light and Love to you and yours.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

The large Buddha statue in Koh Samui, Thailand

The thoughts and musings of an OCD sufferer who is discovering how the path of Buddhism can help in coping with the affliction of his mental condition.

Previous Posts

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / July 2006 /


[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Subscribe to OCD Sanctuary

Powered by Blogger